THE AGUSAN DEL SUR STATE COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNOLOGY LEARNING RESOURCE CENTER
The ASSCAT LRC as a center of intellectual endeavor in an institution of higher learning directs the activities towards the fulfillment of certain functions of the College, such as conservation of knowledge and ideas, teaching, research and extension services.
The ASSCAT LRC is located in a comfortable five to ten-minute walk from each campus building. It contains the bulk of collection in social sciences, pure sciences, technology and applied sciences.
The ASSCAT LRC primarily serves the students, faculty and staff of the College. In addition, researchers from other institution and government officials may also avail of its services under certain conditions.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The library aims to:
- Acquire books and other instructional materials that will support and reinforce the curriculum and will meet the needs, enhance abilities and interests of the students;
- Guide students in their choice of books and other materials of learning to meet both personal and curricular needs;
- Develop the student’s skills and resourcefulness in the use of books and to encourage the habit of personal investigation;
- Provide a place for study and research apart from the usual classroom, shop and shop/laboratory setting;
- Provide access to adequate, well selected and well-organized library resources;
- Simplify and organize open shelf services to users for independent library reference searching;
- Provide lending services appropriate to the different types of users;
- Promote linkage network to other libraries and librarians that will promote expanded access to the collection and training of the library staff.
- Provide electronic resources and internet access to expand a variety of information to the academic and research requirements of the students;
- Work cooperatively with administrators, teachers and other college officials for the realization of the above stated objectives.
III. THE LIBRARY USERS
- ASSCAT students: Secondary, Undergraduate, Graduate students.
- ASSCAT Employees, Administration, Faculty and Staff.
- Visiting researchers from other institutions and government agencies..
IV. LIBRARY HOURS
Monday to Friday 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM (No Noon Break)
Saturday 8:00 AM – 12:00 NN
1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
V. THE LIBRARY COLLECTION
- ASSCAT LRC adopted the Online Public Access Catalog
- Books – are the main bulk of library holdings. Filipiniana and foreign collection were selected to support the curricular offerings of the College.
- Serials – are library materials that come in series whether regular or not. It is an important tool in research for updated articles.
- AV Materials – These are electronic materials such as CD’s, VCD’s, DVD’s for research and instructional use.
- Newspapers– These are the source of current information regarding the events that are happening around the globe.
- Information File – These are substantial articles from the newspaper which are clipped and filed.
- Thesis and Dissertations – a collection of unpublished researches of undergraduate and graduate students.
- ASSCAT Publications – a collection of publication by ASSCAT constituents (researches, school organ, ASSCAT Quarterly publication, annual reports, etc.)
- The Counter – Called the “friendship” area. It is where the library staff comes face to face with the users. The charging and discharging activities are done in this area and the user’s needs and satisfactions are observed here.
- Baggage Area – a depository for all bags, umbrellas and other personal belongings of the library users.
- Reading Area – a place provided for study and research. It is equipped with comfortable chairs and tables with good ventilation and lighting.
- Rest Rooms – an area equipped with toilets, wash basins, etc. It is provided for the convenience of the users and library staff.
- Stack Room – Houses instructional materials that have multiple copies and weed out materials that are recommended for condemnation.
- Staff Room- Office of the Librarian.
- Circulation Section – The main bulk of the collection is found in this section. Books in this section are authored by foreign authors. All the books in this section can be loaned out by users for home use.
- Filipiniana Section – Books in this section includes all book publications about the Philippines, its people and culture regardless of author and language and/or generally, works written by Filipinos, written in Filipino and in the vernacular; Philippine government publications; publications containing substantial portions or chapters regarding the Philippines and works dealing on the application of scientific thought and methodology to Philippines.
- Reference Section – Collection in this section includes dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks, atlases, almanacs, manuals, yearbooks and other similar materials which are designated for quick reference consultation rather than continuous reading.
- Reserved Section – Reserve book collection consists of textbooks and other reading materials recommended by faculty members as required by the course. These books are usually limited in copies and are on the closed shelves.
- Serials Section – Materials in this section are important source of vast information. These include journals, magazines, pamphlets, leaflets, and similar publications which are published periodically or at stated intervals and series.
- Fiction Collection – Fictional literatures (pocketbooks) for home reading.
- Library Clearance
At the end of the semester, library clearance should be secured. Accountability not settle at the agreed date shall be submitted to the Finance Office for settlement.
- Library Rules and Regulations
Library users are expected to:
- Observe SILENCE;
- Keep the library clean
- Keep things in order;
- Handle books and other materials with care;
- All bags, envelopes, portfolios and umbrellas must be left on the depository.
- However, valuable items such as electronic gadgets and cash must be brought inside.
- Cell phones must be in the silent mode.
- Loud conversations and group discussions are not allowed inside the library.
- Smoking and eating in the library is strictly prohibited.
- All used books must be returned properly from where they were shelved.
- Library patrons are expected to return promptly all borrowed materials on due time to give other users a fair chance of utilizing the library services.
- No library material of any kind may be taken out unless proper withdrawal is made thereof.
- The library reserves the right to accommodate First Come, First Serve basis to all users,
- The library has the right to inspect all carried items at the exit control desk.
CHELLY L. LUMANAS, MLIS
ELLENE C. WASIL, RL
College Librarian III
CHRISTIAN MUNDO, RL
FRANCISCO V. Dela Peña
ASSANDRA A. TECSON
MAFE C. MALMIS
Cyril B. Plaza
Emeblend L. Luison
Joemar E. Acupan